Making The Most of Mathematical Moments: How To Use Talk Moves To Engage Students In Purposeful Discussions
Presented by: Millbury Street Elementary School (Grafton, MA)
Strand: K-12 Education
This exhibit will show the ways teachers build a community of practice with their students in the classroom. Teachers can become partners with their students in the learning process. This exhibit will bring to light the moment to interactions that occurred among students and teachers while they engaged in mathematical conversations during and after problem posing. The following materials will be part of the display.
- Examples of the Talk Moves Used by Teachers to either Encourage Participation, Develop Mathematical Thinking or Strengthen Critical Thinking.
- Sample vignettes dialogue among teachers and students will be displayed.
- Sample vignettes of dialogue among students will be displayed.
- Problem-based learning activities designed by teachers are included
- Dialogue boxes that include perspectives of students and teachers about the methods they used to build mathematical thinking
- Graphs and Diagrams summarizing the key findings from my research study will be available